Some things in this world are scary. Like overly happy people, businessmen in wide pinstripe suits and us putting shit on our bodies that we know nothing about. When you think about it, it’s fucking crazy. We use a number of products without the faintest idea of the ingredients inside them. According to the US Environmental Working Group, women use an average of 12 personal care products before they leave the house, ingesting 168 toxins while they do it. So let’s stop, put the mascara down and work out what the hell we can do about this.
What the fuck is formaldehyde?
The first step is to get studying and become familiar with what’s in your potions, lotions and beauty products. Read about what’s the worst of the worst, what’s not too bad and what’s A-OK. Make a list of stuff you know you absolutely don’t want near you so you can recognise the names on the ingredients list. Find out what brands make the kind of products you want to be using. Empower yourself.
And then there’s the environmental aspect of it all
What goes on must come off right? And it does, into our waterways, doing irreversible damage to ecosystems on top of everything else that gets washed into there. Then there’s the packaging and the disposal of our makeup. It’s a shitload of non-biodegradable plastic that gets dumped into landfill and takes hundreds of years to break down.
Yeah, it’s a mind fuck
We get this whole issue is confusing. We’ve spent hours reading through stuff on the internet, and to be very honest, we’re still confused. There are quite a lot of organic brands out there, but you can’t always take what they say at face value, so that requires more research. And the trouble with a lot of organic makeup brands is that they’re not available in the big retail stores, so you can’t see, try or touch it. Of course, the solution to all this is not to wear makeup at all. If that’s for you, great. If you like make up, we need to do something about this and it starts with getting smarter.
- As a general rule, the fewer ingredients listed, the better. This way, there’s less chance of a whole load of different chemicals being put on your skin.
- Ingredients are usually listed in order of most to least, so it’s easy to know what there is a shitload of and what’s not too bad.
- Don’t be a sucker. Anti aging shit doesn’t work, neither does miracle cream or 1000% volume mascara. Once you don’t believe the hype, it’ll make cutting the stuff you put on your face a lot easier.
- When it comes to eye makeup remover, moisturiser, cleanser and toner, fuck it all off and see if there’s a natural alternative you could be using. Coconut and olive oil are great, plus you can fry pancakes with them after.
- Just because there are pictures of botanicals on the packaging doesn’t mean it’s good for you.
Your reading list
And a great app to download.
If you can suggest or find a great makeup or skincare brand doing your own research, email us.
Thanks for reading,